Molds especially when widespread can be very dangerous to the health. It usually happens when flooding has not been addressed properly and a homeowner has failed to fully remove water and moisture from all inundated areas in his home.

Left unaddressed, molds can cause structural decay.

Once a homeowner discovers mold growth, it is important that he immediately takes action before it spreads, and pose dangers to the health and wellness of the members of the household. Restoration should also be immediately carried out so that mold growth could not undermine the structural integrity of his house.

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has underscored how important it is to remove molds as soon as it has been determined that they exist at home. In the write-up they published in their official website, they mentioned several; studies and reports that linked mold to several illnesses which could be avoided if molds have been removed or prevented from a home.

“In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.”

Check out the rest of their warning here.

Structural effect

The Star.com emphasized the reasons why mold has to be immediately removed in a home in one of the news features that the online publication shared. They warned homeowners about the health risk and structural problems that could be underway if mold growth will be left unaddressed.

“Structural decay is another reason mould has to go. Like I said before, mould indicates the first stages of natural decomposition, and while things need to get pretty mouldy in a house before significant physical damage sets in, it’s always best to eliminate mould issues the first time you notice them. The main thing to understand about mould is that it can’t grow without sufficient moisture. Any material will remain mould-free forever without moisture, and almost any surface in your home can grow mould if it’s kept wet enough for long enough.”

Molds should indeed be taken seriously. Professional restoration is needed for areas as mentioned by the United States Environment Protection Agency’s guidelines to ensure the health and wellness of all household members.